Wednesday, January 16, 2013

GET OFF THE COMPLAINER BENCH

I've been meaning to blog for a while now. I've had all of these ideas floating around in my head, but when I open up a new post, it all turns to...nothing. The blank white page intimidates me and I just end up shutting my laptop instead of facing my thoughts.

January has always made it difficult for me to find the inspiration to write. The hustle and bustle of the holidays are over, there's nothing really going on, and it's cold and rainy 99.9% of the time. The winter blues sure don't waste any time moving on in.

But then, I heard something at work today that jolted me out of my January stupor. It was a simple phrase that someone brought up during a conference call, referring to something completely different than lousy ole me, but all the same it really resonated with me.

GET OFF THE COMPLAINER BENCH.

It actually took me back to my high school sports days, where I experienced my fair share of red-faced coaches screaming basically the same thing at me and my teammates. Oddly enough, it made me miss that. Having someone there to push me, to tell me I am capable of doing better. I miss that tough love. Sometimes that is EXACTLY what you need. Especially when you have taken up firm residence on the complainer bench, complete with a cushion, blanket, and pillows. I was planning on staying on the bench for the long haul, y'all.

But that is not where God intended me, or you, to live life. He calls us away from the comfort and safety of the ship to walk on the water with Him.



So today, I am going to get my whiny butt off that complainer bench and start taking action on those areas of life I know I am not where I need to be. Stop letting inaction breed fear. God does not intend for us to live in fear, but in power and love and self-control (2 Timothy 1:7).

I know that by writing this today, tomorrow is going to hit me like a ton of bricks. But I know that God gives the grace to get through anything life may throw my way. And hey, if you've been hanging out on the complainer bench for a while too, why don't you join me in letting God get our attitudes in gear together? Two are better than one, so let's live the abundant life He has called us to live, and give January a kick in the pants!

1 comment:

  1. This is something I have been struggling with too. I get so caught up in the, "Why is this happening to me... now?" mindset.

    Time to make positive changes.

    Thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails